Friday, May 29, 2009

Back in the Game

Sorry we haven't blogged for a while, but Lindsay took ill on Wednesday night after dinner - likely something she ate, although we've been very careful and can't really pinpoint what it might have been (we've all pretty much been to the same places and ate the same things). She was very sick all night on Wednesday and Thursday was the same - plus a fever. Thankfully, I was able to talk to 2 western Drs (spoke english) who confirmed that I should start Cipro quickly. Problem was, we only had the adult tablets, which we tried to crush up and feed to her in water ......let's just say that didn't stay down long enough to be absorbed. So - another call to another Dr and he reminded me that azithromycin (Zithromax - thank you Pfizer) was the next best thing and I might be able to find a pediatric solution. After many charades and must frustration at a local pharmacy down the street, I was able to locate exactly what we needed. It comes in a "sachet" (for those of you in pharmacy, that will take you back a ways) that you have to dilute with water. I had to guess b/c everything was in Chinese and I couldn't read the instructions. The internet was some help, but not much. Anyway, I am mixing this power in a little cup and pulling it up in a syringe to give to her by mouth.........I knew there was a reason I had to endure that compounding lab in pharmacy school! Thankfully, it has worked and she is better today. I really resisted all the advice here re: going to a Chinese hospital.....just wasn't my first choice. We are fortunate you can just buy any antibiotic you need OTC here.....something as many of you know is a bad idea ..contributes to resistance and antibiotics becoming ineffective -- but, I guess when in Rome......(or China!).

Michael and Ally went with our guide yesterday to see where Ally was likely born. Let's just say the pictures are pretty heart breaking. I had thought she was from Kunming City, but turns out they found her in a village about an hour outside the city. The people there make bricks and it's dusty, dirty, etc. You get the picture. Michael said it was good that I didn't go, although I wanted to. We will have to decide whether to post some of the pictures......they just seem very personal.

The pics here are of fun things we have been able to do. There's a park not far from the hotel and we walked over there a few nights ago to watch the dancers.....local people.....very interesting. We also stopped on the way back from an excursion on Wednesday so Michael and Lindsay could hit golf balls.........the Chinese man in the kilt was a first for us (although he was very gracious!). The other pic is of mom and Ally, who continues to do well and shows us a little more of her personality every day. I went to the gym here today - by the way, if you visit here -- just know they have brown outs and unanticipated power surges .........NOT the best thing when you're on a treadmill, but I'm still in one piece! Anyway, when I came back to the room she looked at me, smiled and clapped her hands........that made everything all worth it! Cheryl

2 comments:

  1. Lindsay, Michael, Cheryl,

    It's been so great following your blog. I'm glad Lindsay is feeling better. More pictures please--Michael, I know you are taking them!!! I can't wait to meet Ally. We missed seeing Lindsay at Pottery last Saturday. Hope you are home in time for us to meet Ally before the end of the school year. Tell Lindsay it looks like she is the best big sister in the world.

    Blessings,
    Tracy Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, so glad Lindsay is feeling better! I'd love to see those village pictures but I understand if they are too personal to share. Love reading your posts!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete